Dr. David Warman
Contract Surgeon

Fortress Monroe
April 4 - Sept. 20, 1864

David Warman was born in 1836 and died in 1918. He was a medical doctor in Trenton, New  Jersey between 1862 to 1912, except for the war service in 1864.

[Download this document in Word format]

We remained here until the spring of 1864 when the government advertised for additional surgical help. I went to Philadelphia and contracted with Dr. McCormack who was then Medical Director of the U.S. Army for the Department of Virginia and North Carolina, and ordered to report to Dr. M'Clellan, Surgeon in charge of the Hampton and Chesapeake Hospitals near Fortress Monroe, later known as the Hospitals at Fort Monroe.

Contract Surgeon in Civil War, 1864

Accordingly, on April 4, 1864, I started for the seat of war as a Contract Surgeon and was assigned to duty at Chesapeake Hospital to which none but commissioned officers were admitted. So we had as patients Majors Generals down to Second Lieutenants. The non-commissioned officers and privates were all taken to Hampton Hospital across Hampton Creek. They were all brought down the James River on hospital transports from General Grant's Headquarters in Front of Petersburg, Virginia where General Lee's beleaguered army was facing the Union forces.

Chesapeake Hospital before the war was a Female Seminary where the First Families of Virginia sent their daughters to be educated. After the Rebel General Magruder burned Hampton and was driven out of that territory, the Seminary building was used as a hospital and the officers occupied the rooms of the young ladies. Then we had two "Star Wards" outside the Seminary building where we put our convalescents and tents along the Bay -- or Hampton Roads as it was called -- where we placed our sloughing and erysipelous wounded. There were five surgeons on duty here. When full, we could accommodate 500 patients and very many times we [doctors] had 100 of them a piece of sick and wounded.

The government only paid us $100 per month for our services and we certainly earned our money. The medical staff had their quarters in what was known as the Brown Cottage. [This cottage] was the residence of the President of the Seminary before the War and stood directly facing the wrecked Rebel War vessel, "Merimac," which was sunk by the "Monitor" in a naval encounter during the Civil War in Hampton Roads.

During my service there, I kept a Diary of events that occurred which I came across. On reference thereto, I find that I made a mistake in regards to the "Medical Director" of the Department of Virginia and North Carolina whose name was McCormack instead of Campbell as I have previously recorded [error corrected].

My Diary from which I now quote says:

"Arrived at Fortress Monroe at 7:00AM and went directly to Dr. McCormack's office. After some delay, was ordered to report at Chesapeake Hospital where I arrived at 12:00 PM and was conducted to officers quarters by Dr. Bayles, the Executive Officer and introduced to the staff and took up my quarters with Dr. Lampson. The servant put me up a bed. I unpacked my belongings and everything looks like living.

'Tis indeed a loving spot. I suppose I may as well like it. At any rate it's a good deal more than I expected when I entered Uncle Sam's service. Engaged board with the Mess at $4 per week. (We contract surgeons had to pay for our food out of our $100 per month. We had all the comforts of city life in the Brown Cottage, as it was called, such as bath tub and shower bath. We had a large room and a good spring bed.) I began to feel almost at home.

The Mess are pleasant fellows and two of them have their wives with them. Wish I had mine! Had a good night's sleep and breakfasted at 7:30AM. Then went with Dr. Frick to Wards in Hospital and was assigned to Wards 8 and 9 for the present. Not many sick or wounded left; many had been lately sent off to Northern Hospitals. Wrote letters to wife and brother Harrison telling them of my safe arrival and pleasant environments. Attended an amputation performed by Dr. Garretson of Philadelphia, who was one of the Medical Inspectors on a visit to the Hospital.

There was quite a library of books at the cottage, both miscellaneous and medical. The weather was dull and rainy. I had not much to do so I went to the Library and was soon in the midst of "Les Miserables" to drive away the blues. Chatted awhile with our Mess: Dr. Young, Dr. Rush and Gregory and was off to bed at an early hour and thus passed my first day at Hospital."

"The next day was the Sabbath and a lovely morning, the first time I have seen old Sol's rays since I came here but he shines out splendidly refreshing. Visited my Wards and found two new cases. The rest of the men getting on well: one gunshot wound through the chest, rib broken, etc. Then I went to the Soldiers Cemetery where is deposited daily all that's mortal of many poor fellows. There is scarcely an hour but we hear the muffled drum and fife and a volley fired over the graves. An order from General Butler forbids the removal of any bodies until cold weather comes on for sanitary reasons.

From there, I went to a meeting in the Guard House of prison. Two ministers addressed the meetings and there was singing and prayer. Thence to the Chapel, a neat little building with a reading room attached with books, tracks on newspapers. A chaplain preached a whole sermon for us upon the virtue of the soul. The whole sermon was forcible, practical and earnest. After the service, attended amputation of arm, upper third, performed again by Dr. Garretson.

In PM went to Sunday School and Bible class. The chaplain had a class of 24 men and a class of 5 boys and Mrs. Bayles a class of three girls. This comprised the Sunday School. However, we had quite a pleasant time together. The chapel was built in Boston, a portable one, and brought here and put up at the expense of some Christian men there. It was comfortably seated with an aisle in the center and provided with a melodeon. Mrs. Bayles plays and sings. The platform is nicely carpeted and has a model little pulpit. I enjoyed my first Sabbath here much better than I expected or anticipated under the circumstances. The Sabbath was more generally observed than I supposed it would or could be where all is confusion and excitement.

I have always made it a practice whenever away from home to go to church and Sabbath School, and thus do work for God as well as humanity. This ends my first Sabbath at Chesapeake Hospital, Fortress Monroe."

Quotations from Diary

June 6th: A beautiful morning. I arose at 6:00AM and took a walk on the beach. Visited my Wards after breakfast. A few more cases were brought in yesterday, principally diarrhea patients. Visited Fort Monroe in the PM. Called on Lieut. Hawk and wife, residents of Morrisville and old friends. The lieut. was connected with the 3rd Pennsylvania, heavy artillery [who were] on duty at the Fort. He showed me around the Fort - went over the bastions, redoubts and ramparts. It is a splendid place inside.

The officers have splendid quarters, especially that of Major General Butler who has his headquarters here. Took tea with the Lieut. Hawk and wife. In the evening, listened to the magnificent band of the Fort. Was so much interested in everything here that I was too late for the last car that ran from the Fort to Hampton and came near having trouble. I was about to leave the Fort at the outer gate when a sentinel shouted, "Who goes there?" and pointed a bayonet to my breast and demanded the countersign. Then I had to go back to officers in command and get the countersign before I was let outside the stone walls of the Fortress.

No deaths in our Wards or operations, all patients doing well. Some four hundred transferred North from here and Hampton. However, more expected every hour. Went to bed early but was roused up two or three times to look after cases of secondary hemorrhage from wounded men.

June 7th: On the following day after attending to my duties here, [I] visited Hampton Hospital. Here [I] saw several cases of gangrene and don't want to see any more like them. (We did not have any antiseptics in those days that amounted to much, such as Bromine ).

This day sent away nearly all of the men from my Wards.

One of the Staff, when I went to Chesapeake [Hospital], was a Turk by the name of Dr. Caloosdian who had his wife with him. He came to this country to translate the Bible into the language of his countrymen. While here, he studied medicine and graduated from one of our medical colleges. At the suggestion of his Preceptor, he applied for and got a commission as Contract Surgeon and was sent here. But like a good many of these doctors who went South as surgeons, he was entirely unfit for the duties required. As an example of this unfitness, he would visit the officers in the Wards and request them to put out their tongues, then he would feel of the pulse and order the nurse to give them fever compound [and] Cathartic pills all around. He became so unpopular that the patients would lock the doors of their rooms and would not admit him. He only stayed a few days after I arrived at the Hospital and was sent down to Jamestown by the government to look after a Negro camp there [full] of refuges from the south land. Dr. Young, another of the staff, left for Norfolk and I took his place. He is going to Portsmouth Hospital. [Refer to August 6th entry].

The weather is delightful - cool and pleasant. Had strawberries for tea.

June 8th: Don't feel good. Have an attack of the Blues and diarrhea both together - puts me below par. A letter from my beloved wife, full of news from home, cheered me up. The weather is delightfully cool and pleasant. Had strawberries for tea. No deaths or operations in our Wards. All patients doing well. Some 400 transferred from here and Hampton to Northern hospitals to make room for others daily expected. Went to bed early but was roused-up twice to see emergency calls at the Hospital. However, it was not as bad as practice at home when quite frequently I would have to hitch my horse and go several miles in the country through cold and storm and kept out the live long night.

June 9th: Dr. Young went with me through his Wards before leaving for good. There were not many patients left. However, I did not have to wait long before we received a new supply of patients. I was busy from early morning until 10:30PM at night making diagnosis and bed ticketing them and attending to the most urgent cases. Got letter from wife - so glad to hear from home. Commenced to write letter in reply but was disturbed by a call from hospital. Retired at 11:00PM very tired and sleepy. Was aroused again, just at day-break, to see a sick man to use [a] catheter. Man had a perennial abscess which pressed upon the urethra to such an extent that he could not urinate. At same time, saw two cases -- serious -- of typhoid fever. Was very busy all day prescribing, dressing wounds until 10:30PM. Patients getting along as well as could be expected.

Honest Old Abe renominated for President. No war news of special interest. Went to bed at 10:30PM, tired as a dog but thankful that I am in the possession of one of earth's greatest blessings: Health.

[June 10th:] Arose the next morning with the sun after a very refreshing sleep. The weather continues remarkably cool for summer time - almost need an overcoat. Another boatload of sick and wounded came in. We only received a few officers. The balance were officers in Hampton Hospital. Have gotten my Wards in good working order again. Finished letter from wife - nothing of importance has transpired. The day had been almost as cold as November.

Did not sleep much. Disturbed by the nurses running after the doctors. Two cases of secondary hemorrhage. The one poor fellow had to loose some more of his arm before the bleeding could be arrested. In the PM, visited the soldiers. Saw the grave of Capt. Lawrence of Belvidere who died in the Hospital a few days before I came.

Hundreds of others we have buried here who have laid down their lives in defense of our rights and the national honor. Also visited the ruins of the old town of Hampton and got some relics of what was said to be the oldest grave yard in America.

June 14th: Almost cold enough for winter. Had some very sick to attend to. Just as I commenced to go the rounds of my Wards, I received notice to attend a consultation of the staff of surgeons. Man had a wound of lower leg from minnie rifle ball. Secondary hemorrhage had resulted at three different times. We decided that the only chance for life was amputation which was accordingly done, and the life saved. These "minnie" balls make an ugly wound.

No news of importance from the seat of War. Grant's Army said to be moving.

June 15th : Feels more like summer. Had some trouble with a man feigning fits. Cases all doing well. There were a few more additions of officers. Went to Old Point in the afternoon and saw them drill at the Fort. It was interesting, especially the firing of the big guns at a target at the close. When I reached my quarters, got a package and letter from wife by express. How I did enjoy both especially the cakes. After all, there is no one who knows how to please a husband so well as a good wife such as I have. God bless them!

June 16th: Lather kind of weather. Hot as Egypt! Don't feel well. Had slight diarrhea and symptoms of chills. In the evening took a stroll along the beach. Had intended taking a sail on the bay but there was not enough of a breeze. 'Tis indeed a lovely light moon evening. We always get a cool breeze from the bay. Indeed its always pleasant here evenings if the day be ever so hot and we could never burn a light in our rooms after night without shutting door and windows. The only thing that interferes with making this place a paradise is the pesky plaguy mosquitoes that are very annoying. They beat the Jersey variety all to pieces.

June 17th: Arose at an early hour and was to see my patients before breakfast however not any of them required attention. After breakfast went to Old Point with friend Johnson a member of the "Christian Commission" that did so much good work during the war and took the boat for Norfolk. We visited Portsmouth and the ruins of Gosport Navy Yard which was burned by the Rebels. Also, went on board a man-of-war lying out in Hampton Roads after which Mr. Johnson left me. I called Capt. Charlie W. Butz from Warren County, NJ an old acquaintance who had enlisted at the commencement of the war when a law student in the office of J. G. Shipman of Belvidere. But [he] had resigned from the Army during the last year of the war after he had married a southern girl of old Virginia. Her father was a judge and loyal to the Union and whose property was confiscated by the Confederates and sent him and family into our lines.

A Romantic Story

The daughter of the judge had a beautiful pony that she was allowed to take with her. But before reaching our lines, some "Guerrillas" took the pony away from her. She was inconsolable over the loss. Captain Butz agreed to recapture it if possible. So he and his company started in pursuit and not only got the pony but took the men prisoners, much to the delight and gratitude of the young lady. As a result, they fell in love and were happily married a few months later.

Then the gallant captain resigned and opened an office in Norfolk in connection with his father-in-law judge, whose name I forget, for the practice of law. It was altogether a most romantic affair which it ended as romances always do.

So I was invited to dine with the Captain and the family of the Judge and we had dinner. I enjoyed that [and also] the society of himself, [his] wife and family so much that I was too late for the boat that had left for Old Point. When I reached the wharf, I tried to have them send me up to the Hospital with a tug or government transport, but twas no go and I was obliged to remain.

Then I called on Dr. Young and family and went with him to the Hospital to see his patients. This doctor was a loyal man and practiced in Norfolk, Va. "Befo-de-war" and served his country as a contract surgeon during the last year of the Rebellion. He showed me all the places of special interest about Norfolk. Its a beautiful town and does not show much of the effects of war, notwithstanding the many trying scenes it passed through.

I was so much impressed with the place that I rather promised Charlie Butz that I would come there to practice my profession after the Cruel War was over.

Took lodgings for the night at the Atlantic House. Thus early in the season, there were plenty of new potatoes, peas and green beans. After breakfast at the hotel, I took the 7 AM boat for Old Point and arrived at Chesapeake Hospital at 9 AM. Fortunately, nothing had turned up of a serious nature during my absence and I was put in charge of Ward 4 - the best one in the Hospital. But now I will have much more to attend to properly; however, I will do the best I can. Received such a cheery letter from wife, also hers and baby Anna's picture. Spent the day as usual. No deaths in our Wards. Weather splendid. In the evening, wrote home.

June 19th: Went to see my patients early but could not get around in time for church. This is one of the evils of military life. You cannot, as a general thing, enjoy the quiet rest of the Sabbath day. Today we have been unusually busy, 40 or more officers and over 300 sick and wounded men have been brought from the Front. In the evening, went to church. Major (formerly Chaplain) Estall addressed us in a most feeling and eloquent way.

June 20th: Been so busy that I had no time to write in my diary. Took charge of Ward No. 1 for Dr. Gregory who left for home in New York State, his contract with the Government having transpired. Received a whole lot of wounded officers. Among them were Colonel DeForrest, 81st New Jersey Regiment; Lieut. Colonel Goff, 22nd U.S. Colored Troop; Major McArthur of 8th Maine and later made Major General, USA. Beside these, a large number of captains and lieuts., part of them were officers of colored troops that fought bravely. Capt. Rudd of the 19th Illinois seriously wounded and a doubtful case. I was very tired when night came.

June 21st: Busy as a bee all day. Nurses ain't good for much and I had to dress a large part of the wounded myself. Don't feel a bit well - have every symptom of chills and sure enough, before night-time, I began to shake. Didn't eat any supper and was very sick all night. Confound the chills! I thought I was proof against them here, but some of the malarial germs from old Morrisville must have been lurking in my system and a little overwork has developed them again. Was sent for during the night but could not go and sent a substitute.

June 22nd: Colored George, our cook, brought me some toast and tea. Had no appetite but managed to get down some along with a huge dose of quinine. Then went to see my patients and found them all doing well. Capt. Ranson better; Capt. Rudd was the only exception. Capt. Mills and Small about the same. Had a pretty hard day of it for one in my condition: walking up and down five long pair of stairs. Took quinine and drank two bottles of Porter.

Not much war news of importance. Grant's army, however, has been having a big fight at Petersburg, Va. and whipped the Rebels as he usually does.

June 23rd: Began to feel like myself again, worked hard all day. Had two amputations of leg and one resection of arm. Day very warm, the warmest decidedly of the season. This weather [is] not favorable for our wounded men or for those in the field. Thermometer stood at 90 F in the shade. Got a letter from Samuel Walker and Jennie Love.

June 24th: Arose at an early hour, was not disturbed and had a good sleep. President Lincoln passed up the Bay returning from a visit to the Army of the Potomac. Our ears were saluted with the roaring of canon and was soon ascertained the cause when Old Abe made his appearance on the upper deck of the vessel. He was too far out for a good look at of him. Got a letter from my beloved wife and two newspapers.

June 25th: Patients all doing nicely. But oh dear, how hot! Thermometer stands at 95 F at mid-day. If it gets much warmer, there won't be only a grease spot of us left, I fear. It is altogether the warmest day of the season thus far. In the evening, went out into the Bay to take a refreshing bath.

June 26th: Arose early so [as] to be able to attend church. Visited and prescribed for all my patients and then went to chapel. Preaching [was delivered] by Rev. E. M. Skimmer of Cambridge Mass.

Lieut. Hammond of the 6th Conn. Reg. was suddenly attacked with secondary hemorrhage and almost as suddenly died. His father came in the morning to visit him and he was apparently doing well. But in a few short hours after, his spirit was in eternity. I shall never forget his death bed scene. He was said to have been young and talented before engaging in the demoralizing business of war and was a consistent Christian. It was indeed heart rendering to see the poor old father bow down, with grief filled years spent over his son, praying. God would have mercy and receive him to Himself. We all had reason to hope that the prayers of his father and friends were heard and answered.

[I was] sent in Capt. Cameron's case. We had no grounds to hope, whatever. He was suddenly taken with secondary hemorrhage and neither himself nor us expected so sudden a demise. He was a gay, profligate young fellow. What sad scenes these are that we are called upon to witness.

June 27th: Arose early so as to get through with my Wards before the heat of the day. Thermometer stood at 103 F in the shade for the better part of the day. In the evening, we had a slight shower that brought about an agreeable change. Got a letter from home. Wife sick with the measles. Nothing of importance has transpired worthy of note, save some amusing scenes with Wilcox, a red-headed correspondent of the New York Tribune, who is sick with typhoid-malaria fever in one of my Wards.

June 28th: Delightfully cool and pleasant this morning. We seem to breathe another atmosphere. How I wish it would remain thus, not only for my own comfort, but for the good of my patients. Had calls form Dr. Bancroft and Dr. Davis, both from Jersey regiments and Lieut. Hawk.

A large lot more of sick and wounded came in taking the places of those who have become convalescent. There is no rest for the wicked.

June 29th: Weather still remains cool. Oh, what an agreeable change! Got letter from Brother Harrison. Patients all doing well. Wilcox better and has gotten over his wild delirium. Capt. Stratton, who has charge of our invalid corps, was doing guard duty.

Left for Philadelphia on short leave of absence. I went with him in ambulance as far as the Fort. There called on friend Johnson of the Christian Commission to get some delicacies for our sick men. This organization is doing a grand work for the suffering soldiers. Had a pleasant call from our Chaplain Rev. Marshall. He is a charming man and just fitted for the place. Again visited Hampton Hospital and the Gangrene Camp. What a horrid disease and what human suffering.

June 30th: This was General Inspection Muster day. We all had to don the regalia such as shoulder straps, badge and sword! Got letter from Dr. Lyman with the glad information that wife and Baby Anna are doing as well as could be expected. How it has relieved my suspense and anxiety!

July 1st: Weather warm again - thermometer at 92oF but to nothing more than good summer-time. One thing about this locality is that we always have a cool pleasant breeze form the bay, especially in the evening.

We had two operations today in the operating tent, where all operations are performed by the surgeon from whom Wards they come in the presence of the Staff who always assist. The great event of the day was a visit from General Ben Butler and Medical Director McCormack. They both belong to the "Genus Homo." The General is a live, looking Yankee who does things much to the disgust of our Confederate foes.

July 2nd: Nothing of special importance has occurred worthy of notice here. Patients doing well and no deaths. Went to the Fort to Dr. McCormack's office and handed in my accounts for services for the last month. Had slight fall of rain and a perfect tornado of wind and a shower of dust, accompanied with terrific thunder. The thunder in this region beats anything I ever heard in Jersey.

July 3rd: Had so much to do that I could not attend church. Dr Frick's wife came and went with him on a short leave of absence. Dr. Brower took up quarters with us, relieving Dr. Frick. Three more men came in my Wards, among them Chaplain Barry from a Wisconsin Regiment. This has not been much like the Sabbath to me as it has been spent entirely among the sick and suffering.

July 4th: The glorious old day of American Independence has again dawned. It was ushered in here by the booming of cannon at sunrise at the Fort. We had no demonstrations at the Hospital excepting the hoisting of a new flag. There was too much else to attend to. What delight and satisfaction it would afford throughout the entire North could we only be permitted to record some great victory and the collapse of this wicked Rebellion.

July 5th: Was called out of bed early to see Lieut. Fredrick who was attacked with secondary hemorrhage from femoral artery. It was arrested, but the poor fellow died from exhausting loss of blood. Had operation for removal of bullet and necrosis of tibia. Was very busy the entire day among the sick and wounded. Felt much like a chill but kept it off with quinine and whiskey.

July 6th: Weather continues pleasant. Feel better this AM, only tired. Fact is, I have too much to do. However, patients are doing better. Went to Fort and attended to some business matters. Took tea with the "Christian Commission" members. The Rev. Mr. Patton from Ohio called to see me - sick with diarrhea. Was too late for cars as usual and had to walk home.

July 7th: Am well as usual. Had a good night's sleep. Patients all doing well. Capt. Libby better although not out of the danger line. In the PM, took a sail out on the bay. Got fast on a sandbar and had a great time getting off. Enjoyed some real sport on the broad bay. Visited the Roanoke, Minnesota and English and French frigates at anchor. Received three new patients: a major, captain and lieutenant - all from the U.S.C.T troops.

July 8th: Things wag on as usual in hospital life. Nothing worthy of note has occurred save a case of secondary hemorrhage from the arm of Capt. Fee. Got a letter and papers from wife with the glad news that she and baby Anna were both quite well again. Some things happened that tried my patience, but I will strive to discharge my duty conscientiously. Then what need I care for man, however mean he may be?

July 9th: Weather still remains warm and dry. How a nice a rain would refresh and invigorate everything. But I will not complain as it is all right or it would not be so, as it always comes in due season. Rebels again threatening another invasion of the North. I do not sincerely hope they will do a sufficient amount of damage to arouse the people of that region to a sense of their duty.

July 10th: I arose at an early hour and thought to get through with my morning work so as to get at the chapel for services there, but could not make it go. However, I managed to go in the evening. Lieut. Morrill, son of Senator Morrill of Vermont, a Signal officer in the Service was attacked with tetanus. Bad symptoms! All the rest are doing well. How demoralizing war is and what suffering it produces.

July 11th: Today has been one of excitement and anxiety. There has been all sorts of rumors in regards to another invasion by the Confederates. Report also of a riot in New York and Baltimore. Nothing else has occurred outside of the regular routine of everyday duties.

July 12th: Went through Ward one before breakfast. Lieut. Morrill about the same. Has been taking a grain of morphine every hour with chloroform to spine and occasional inhalation of same. Dr. McClenan went through my Wards, behaved more like a gentleman. Had operation for bullet extraction from face. It had passed through [the] nose.

July 13th: Day passed along as usual. Nothing of much note occurring. Had to amputate Capt. Fees' arm. However, Mr. McDwitt of Trenton [NJ] came direct from the Front and brought a letter from brother Harrison. He took tea with me and remained all night. The Rebels said to be in strong force near Washington. The people in the North are getting a good scare. Sincerely hope they do enough harm to wake up the people there. Had a slight fall of rain last night that has cooled off the atmosphere delightfully. Dr. Johnson relieved me of one Ward. So glad. Hope I may get some rest now. Mr. McDwitt left for Washington. Went with him as far as the Fort.

Called on Lieut. Hawk and wrote letter for Harrison. Had two more cases of secondary hemorrhage. Capt. Smith of Brooklyn and Capt. Jones of Bridgeton, a son of the Rev. Jones, pastor of 1st Presbyterian church there. Lieut. Ramson and Lieut. Morrill both died today. The death of Lieut. Morrill was most pathetic. He was conscious to the last. Chaplain Marshall wrote his Will. He made several requests among his watch and signet ring to his sweetheart he was to marry when this cruel war was over.

And thus it goes on. Every day, the brightest and best of our young men are cut down in the flower of their young manhood and placed in untimely graves. How long, Oh Lord, how long is this state of things going to last before we have peace?

July 15th: Nothing worthy of note has happened. Weather pleasant. But oh, how badly we need rain!

July 16th: Things jog along in the same old rut. Took a sail boat ride in the evening with some of our staff and got caught in a squall. We were poor sailors and came near having an upset in the deep waters of the Bay, said to be seventy feet deep. Mr. Scott from Morrisville called to see me. He is a member of the 3rd Penn. Heavy Artillery stationed at the Fort.

July 17th: Went to church in the morning. Rev. Billingsby preached subject: "The Kingdom of Christ." It was a tolerably good sermon considering for he's rather small potatoes in my estimation. Oh, how I long for the means of Grace at home with loved ones! Got letter from wife and sent letter and magazine to her. Patients all doing well. Don't have to work so hard now.

July 18th: Went to the Fort and sent off my treasury warrant. Called on friend Johnson of the Christian Commission. Went to Library and read awhile, then chatted with Chaplain Marshall. Rumors of the capture of Atlanta, Georgia and the taking of 15,000 Rebel prisoners of war. Only hope its true. Have been reading "Scott's Poems" during my leisure hours. They are fine.

July 19th: The long wished for rain has at length come. It commenced to rain about 8:00AM and kept it up almost incessantly during the day. Assisted Dr. Brower and his Wards. My own are pretty well cleaned out. Wrote home and to Dr. Lyman.

July 20th: Removed all my patients from Ward 4 preparatory to giving it a thorough cleaning. Wrote letter to Mr. Farrad. The weather is fine; the rain has revived up everything and everybody. Did expect to take a sail on the broad Atlantic to New York with a lot of patients, but was disappointed at the last moment.

Rev. Dr. Jones and wife of Bridgetown, NJ arrived to visit their son, Captain Jones who is seriously wounded. Do not feel very bright and am beginning to tire of this monotonous life!

July 21st: Had some idea of going to City Point but gave it up for the present as I haven't much to do and am having a quiet little rest-up.

July 22nd: Took charge of Dr. Brower's Wards during his absence. Got letter from Harrison and he writes that he is all right again. Wrote letter to Sister Kate. Day quite warm. Nothing of special interest has transpired.

July 23rd: Dr. Johnson left and I am returned to Ward 1. Don't like it much. Got letter from home. Wife and baby safely at Harmony.

Secretary Seward arrived at the Fort. There was firing of cannon, etc. Had another chill about noon and was really sick the remainder of day. These horrid chills! I did think I was entirely rid of them, but somehow, they still cling to me.

July 24th: Went down to breakfast but no appetite. Did not feel well enough to see my patients or go to church. Dr. Raymond, former president of Seminary, came this time as chaplain of the hospital.

July 26th: Went through my Wards as usual. Had new supply last night. We had Ward 4 white-washed and painted. It looks as clean and grand as a parlor. We put the new recruits in there. Among those received was a Rebel Colonel and Capt. My time was spent as usual here. In the evening there was a row in the mess.

July 27th: Had a "right smart," as they say down here, sort of a time with Dr. Bayles, the Executive Officer of the Hospital. What meanness man will descend to for a few paltry dollars.

Got treasury check from Dr. McCormack - also letters from Phillip, Mrs. Mills, McDevitt and Harrison.

In the evening, went in bathing - had a splendid time. Am trying to learn how to swim. Rumors of Rebels going to North again. Lieut. Shields took charge of the Mess on a new plan. Dr. Bayles retires and Dr. Blake is made executive officer of Hospital.

July 28th: Got a nice long letter from wife. All well at home. Took a ride out in the country in ambulance. Had a good time calling on the old farmers in the vicinity and eating peaches. There seem to be an abundance of fruit of all kinds. But there is not much else. 'Tis a fine farming region but shows the affects of grim visages of War: fences nearly all gone, houses and barns burned, etc.

In the evening, took another swim in the Bay. Weather very pleasant and a slight fall of rain.

July 29th: Am quite busy again. Several very sick that require close attention. Went to Hospital with Dr. Caloosdian. Sent off my account for last month.

In the evening, crossed over Hampton Creek to a Negro settlement. The whole party enjoyed ourselves hugely, eating water melons, plums, peaches and figs. Had considerable sport on the small boat crossing both ways. In evening, very warm with swarms of mosquitoes. Did not go to bed until a late hour.

July 30th: Nothing of interest has occurred. Weather very warm. Had fine showers in the evening.

July 31st: Attended to my patients. Went to church. Rev. Marshall preached assisted by Dr. Raymond. The services were very interesting. I was called away to answer a telegram about one of my patients before the services ended. Day was melting hot. Thermometer 101 F.

August 1st: Oppressively hot. Attended to my patients. Times seem to hang heavy on my hands. Indeed had a slight attack of the blues. In order to abate them, [I] read awhile from Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" and found it intensely interesting. So much originality about it. Wrote letter for Mrs. Farrand, etc.

In the evening, it blew up cool and pleasant. Took a nap out on the top of the piazza of the cottage. Another invasion of Pennsylvania and Chambersburg burned. Hope this will wake up the sleeping North.

August 2nd: Was very busy until the dinner hour. Received a lot more of sick and wounded. In the PM, went out on the Bay fishing and sailing. We had a rough time of it. The wind blew a gale, dashing the huge waves up over us, completely drenching some of us. One of our boat's crew lost his hat, another his shoes which he had taken off. All of us came near being upset in the turbulent water. We did not get many fish but all enjoyed the trip save one poor fellow who got seasick!

August 3rd: Nothing has occurred to break-up the monotony of hospital life. Have some very sick and wounded men whose time of probation is very short. Got letter from wife and wrote one in return.

August 4th: Day very warm and sultry. Received eleven new patients - some of them seriously wounded and others dangerously sick. Had letter from Mr. Creveling and brother Alfred.

August 5th: Lieutenant Cooper, Adjutant Minburn and Lieut. Bloss all died today. What mortality! And saddest of all, they were not prepared for the change. Got letter from wife and Sister Jennie Love. Wrote Alfred and Jacob Creveling of Morrisville. Lots of work on hand. We did intend taking another sail, but there was no time for pleasure or play. No news from seat of war.

August 6th: Dr. Caloosdian and wife left for Yorktown to take charge of the Negro Camp there. Our Mess is growing small by degrees. The day has been melting warm but a shower of wind and rain cooled things off.

August 7th: Went to church and Dr. Raymond preached an excellent sermon. Got letter from brother Harrison.

August 8th: Nothing special has occurred except another row in our domestic affairs, this time with the servants. Ours is not a happy family, I am sorry to say. However in the affair, I was left out and enjoyed it hugely. Human nature is indeed a queer mixture.

August 9th: Engaged in earnest. More new patients and I have not time really to write my loved ones as often as I should but managed to write my beloved wife and brother. Weather continues warm.

August 10th: Lieut. O'Neil died this morning of typhoid fever combined with delirium tremors.

Oh, how many of the officers that came here are addicted to the alcoholic habit! This is another demoralizing result of war and its environments. Chaplain Ambrose of the 6th Vermont was attacked with secondary hemorrhage but it was arrested without much difficulty. Finished reading Woodward on camp diseases and commenced [with] "Stille" on Materia Medica and Therapeutics.

August 11th: Had to attend to Dr. Brower's Ward again during his absence, along with my own work. Was very tired when night came. Took a bath which was delicious. We have all the conveniences of modern life here - even a shower bath that I enjoy so much. Got a good long letter from wife and papers from Morrisville. Rumors of changes in the cabinet again in Washington. No news of interest save the attack upon Mobile, [Alabama] by our forces.

August 12th: Spent the day as usual in ministration to the sick and wounded. Got another letter from my good wife with the welcome intelligence of all well at home. In the PM, started out with my chances for another boat ride but was very much disappointed. The boat had sunk in the Bay. It was an old craft and it leaked. The last time we were out in it, one of us was kept busy bailing out the water. Doesn't look much like another sail!

Went to my room and read "Stille" until I got sleepy and thus it goes in Military Life - from grave to gay, from melancholy to serene, as one has aptly expressed it.

August 13th: The day was hot. Wrote letter home and received one from Treasury Department with check for another month's pay. Dr. Lewis from the Monitor with us. Dr. Lampson, after being chaperoned by me, went to Norfolk. After passing examination, [he] got a commission as Asst. Surgeon to U.S.E.T. Regiment, stationed in Front of Petersburgh.

Terrible explosion at City Point and much destruction and loss of life therefrom. Lieut. McVay attacked with secondary hemorrhage, and I am afraid will not survive long.

August 14th: Went to church. Rev. Marshall preached from the text "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom." Dr. Holstein and Dr. Browers' mother came on a visit to the doctor. There was a lot more of wounded and sick brought in and quite a number of convalescents left for Annapolis, Maryland.

This has been the hottest day of the season - thermometer 110 F. In the hospital as usual. More sick and wounded brought in, many of them in a horrible condition with their wounded parts full of maggots.

The evening was so hot that my roommate, Lampson, disrobed and said he was going to take a dip in the Bay before going to bed. So he accordingly went out in his nude state as the hour was late. He thought everybody was in bed and rushed out of the house on the verandah, down the gaveled walk and plunged into the water and back again to the Cottage. It happened that the wife of Dr. Bayles was sitting on the end of the verandah, recognized him and told her husband of the occurrence. He made a complaint to Dr. M'Clellan, the surgeon in charge, that Dr. Lampson had insulted his wife.

The next day Lampson was summoned to Dr. M'Clellan's office to answer the charge. Of course he had to acknowledge his guilt but plead that he did not know that anyone was on the porch as the hour was late. Therefore, he did not intend to insult the lady or anybody else.

Dr. Lampson, after getting this commission as assistant surgeon in 31st U.S.C.T. at the suggestion and recommendation of the staff, was detailed by Dr. M'Clellan, to remain at Chesapeake Hospital on account of the many sick and wounded we had there as he was an expert wound dresser. Instead of allowing Lampson to apologize for the act, M'Clellan said, "Damn you! I will send you up to the Niggers."

August 16th: Chaplain Ambrose was again attacked with secondary hemorrhage from femoral artery. The artery was ligated at both ends but when that was done, he was thoroughly drained of blood. Poor man! I fear his days are numbered. Got letters from Mrs. McDonald and Mr. Creveling; also one form Brother Harry that he was quite ill at City Point Hospital and requested me to come and see him if possible. More fighting is reported from Deep Bottom.

Goes to the Front at Petersburgh

Made an application to Dr. M'Clellan for leave of absence. After getting the other surgeons to look after my Wards, he granted my request.

August 17th: Accordingly, I took the morning boat for City Point armed with haversack and field glass loaned to me by one of the officers. Capt. Jones had introduction to Prof. Stover and Mr. Brown of the Christian Commission. They, together with Dr. Lampson who was going to his Colored Regiment on the edict of Dr. M'Clellan for his episode of going bathing in his nude state, formed quite a party.

The day was warm but we had an interesting trip in the historic James River. A fine shower cooled off the heated air. However, it continued to rain after we reached City Point where we disembarked. One of our party, who said he was posted, acted as guide to the Post Hospital where my brother wrote me he was sick. But like a good many people, he was more knowing than wise. Instead of taking us to where we wished to go, he conducted us from it to the operating Hospital of the Army in Front of Petersburgh where General Grant's Army was facing our foes. We were in a dilemma, when fortunately, we happened to meet Dr. Glatifelter who came down on the hospital boats with the sick and wounded to Chesapeake and Hampton Hospitals. He kindly took us in his tent and gave us supper and a bed. It was all the time raining like fun and we were as wet as rats. But we enjoyed everything in the primitive style here and retired early as we were very tired.

About midnight, was suddenly aroused from sleep by the booming of cannon which kept up a continuous roar for several hours. It was grand and terrific. After which as I afterward learned, the Rebels made an attack upon a weak point in our lines but was severely repulsed with heavy loss. The cannonading was only the prelude to the attack. We arose early in the morning and after thanking our host for the night's entertainment, started for Post Hospital, City Point. We had a weary walk of five miles. The country through which we passed was most lovely but, everywhere gave evidence of grim visaged war, such as desolated homes, houses burned down in some places and in others, deserted. Fences torn down and destroyed. In short, the whole region of country through which we passed was devastated but with many marks of former prosperity. On the way, we met army wagons and ambulances, officers and orderlies in profusion.

Droves of cattle huddled together or attempting to gather on the almost bare and barren fields. The butchers of cattle were at work preparing them for food for the butchers of men.

We finally got to our destination and found my Brother Harry in an old church that had been turned into a hospital, named the Post Hospital at City Point, Va.

Herein lies another story. This brother of mine came to Trenton and entered the State Normal School and lived with me at Morrisville across the Delaware River. While here when Lincoln called the third time for volunteers for 3 years or the war, he with 20 others at the Normal School enlisted.

When his term of enlistment had ended, he re-enlisted for 3 more years or during the war in the 9th New Jersey Regiment, the great fighting regiment during the Civil War. He, with others on their way to the Front [and] in care of an officer who was drunk, was taken up as stragglers and brought to city and placed under guard in the "bull ring" with no shelter from the hot sun when one of the members was attacked with sunstroke. [The] surgeon on duty, Dr. Gates, was summoned to attend to the stricken one. Then my brother complained to the Doctor that he and others were unjustly confined there as nobody but the drunken officer was to blame. He personally made an appeal to the Doctor and mentioned the fact that he had a brother, a surgeon in the service, who he knew would not allow for such a state of things should it come to his notice. When Dr. Gates requested the name of himself and brother, it turned out that he, Dr. Gates, was a student of mine at Medical College and that we were graduates of the same class at Bellevue Hospital Medical College [later Columbia University]. At once, [Dr. Gates] had him released from the "bull ring" and transferred to the Hospital as head nurse there and here I found him. When he wrote me to come to see him, both he and the Doctor thought he was suffering from typhoid fever, but it turned out to be malarial.

My brother informed me of all these facts and took me to the doctor's tent. On invitation, we breakfasted with him. After which, he kindly furnished us with an ambulance and driver. We all started out to the Front, my brother, Dr. Lampson and myself.

We finally came to a hill overlooking Petersburgh when I took out my glass and could distinctly see the doomed city. We then found out the Headquarters of the 18th Army Corps and preceded thither. Called on Capt. Brown, General Ord's Aid-de-camp and patient of mine at one time at Chesapeake Hospital. Chatted with this gentlemanly officer. Thence to General Ames [Ammen] Headquarters and so down the ravine Headquarters. of 31st U.C. Troop on right which my friend Lampson was to report for duty. We asked if there was any danger at that vicinity. One colored gentleman informed us we had better keep our eyes skinned for shells. We preceded on down the ravine to the camp of the 9th New Jersey Regiment and went to Colonel Stewart's tent with Lieut. Pullen and took some refreshments and cigars. A shower of rain kept us here for sometime. We then returned to the camp of the U.S.C.S. and dined on bacon, bread and coffee and never enjoyed a meal more in my life! Then Colonel Stewart sent us in an ambulance to this point. After our dinner was disposed of, Colonel Stewart and Lieut. Pullen went with us out to the extreme left of our line and within a few hundred yards of the enemy in the outer line of entrenchment's.

The picket firing and skirmishing was incessant. In my curiosity to look at Rebels and sharpshooters, I mounted the outer earth works and pulled out my field glass to have a good look at them when a mini ball was fired at me and struck in the earth at my feet. A little higher and it would have gone through my body. I saw the fellow who fired the shot in a tree with a gun and just handed the glass to Colonel Stewart as the ball struck a few feet below where I was standing! How instinctive it is to dodge when bullets come in close proximity. The Rebels doubtless thought we were a reconnoitering party and the shooting was like that of shooting for squirrels in the woods at home. We found the vicinity rather hot and uncomfortable and concluded to vacate.

Another incident or two happened worthy of record in these sketches of Army life. While sitting in front of the tent of the colonel of the Colored regiment, a shell came thundering down. The colonel ordered us all to fall down flat on the ground, faces downward, waiting for the shell to explode while we all held our breaths. Fortunately for us, it struck in the soft earth and did not explode. The colonel was the first to arise from the earth to his feet, went and pulled it out and remarked that we would send it back to them with our compliments! Here we left our friends and gave our driver orders to push for City Point where we arrived about the time Old Sol was going to rest.

Again took tea with Dr. Gates [and] enjoyed a whiff of the comfort of a good cigar. Chatted with the Doctor about old times and then retired on a hard cot bed in an open tent. Was awakened again in the night-time by the booming of cannon in Front of Petersburgh but was too tired and sleepy to be disturbed very long by noisy cannon.

[August 19th:] Arose early next morning. Called on brother and together we strolled around the old town of City Point. 'Tis indeed a city on a hill. We passed through the house occupied by Major General Grant as his headquarters. Took a view of the scene of the late terrible explosion. Breakfasted again with Dr. Gates and gathered up my trophies or rather relics I had gathered on the battlefield in Front of Petersburgh: one, a long cavalry saber that I found sticking in the ground up to the hilt. (My son, Arthur, still has [the sword] in his keeping as a memento of the War.)

Said good-bye to Brother Harry and Dr. Gates and left on the 1PM boat for Fort Monroe. It commenced to rain soon after we left. We had a rough, rainy ride all the way down the James and on the Bay. We came near making shipwreck. This trip to the Front with two hostile armies facing each other gave me ideas of real war that I could never have realized form History or the reading of books. From personal observation, I saw an entrenched and encamped army with its earthworks, rifle pits and bomb proofs, etc.

August 20th: On entering my Wards the next morning, I found an empty bed. Chaplain Ambrose was no more. He died from a reoccurrence of the hemorrhage the day I left. He was a brave and good man and always went to the Front with his regiment. He was picked off by a sharpshooter while going from the breastworks in front of the enemy to the toilet place in the rear. The ball entered the thigh and passed out on the other side of the leg and grazed the femoral artery, thus weakening the cords of the vessel. The wound healed, and he had applied for a furlough to go home. He was warned not to use the leg for some time but to go on his crutches for fear of the artery giving away. In the nighttime, he had occasion to go to the toilet and not being able to find his crutches, and not wishing to disturb the night nurse who was asleep, he started to go without the aid of any support, bearing some weight on the injured limb when the vessel gave way.

[He] fell to the floor - the blood flowing from the wounded vessel in a huge stream. The night watch was roused and rushed after me. He had then fainted from loss of blood. I summoned help as I had to hold on to the vessel to keep him from bleeding to death - it being so near the body that we could not apply the tourniquet. The bleeding vessel was finally ligatured at both ends. When I left him in the morning, he seemed bright and cheerful, but very weak from the loss of blood. But the next night, the sluggish hemorrhage returned. When the surgeons found the bleeding part, the deep profunda artery, and tied that, the Chaplain was dead.

The saddest part was yet to come. He was the only son and support of a widowed mother. She was telegraphed for immediately and came to the Hospital the following day. At the same time, his furlough came through from Washington. The weather was so warm that we disemboweled the body and embalmed it so that the mother could take him home for burial.

While I was away, there was a large addition of patients, mostly wounded in the late engagement at Deep Bottoms. Found two letters awaiting me. In the evening, wrote home. Dr. Brower went to Norfolk and Dr. Rush and I ran the Machine.

August 21st Attended to my patients and then went to Church. Aw Sgt. of the Christian Commission preached. Lieut. Turner died. He was only brought in a few hours ago in a dying condition.

The day was very warm. The heat was oppressive, followed by a fine shower in the evening, which cooled off the air. Took a bath in the Bay which I enjoyed to the full.

Confederate Major General Walker's Stump

August 22nd: Was busy from morning till night among the sick and wounded. Took measure and plaster cast of General Walker's stump.

(Thereby hangs a tale. This General was a graduate of West Point from Mississippi and belonged to the Southern Chivalry. When war broke out, he joined the Confederacy and commanded one of General Lee's corps. At Bermuda Hundred, he went out to reconnoiter one gray morning and rode right into our lines. Our men recognized him as a Rebel Officer and ordered him to surrender. But he concluded he had a chance to escape and attempted to do so when a volley was fired from our forces, which brought down horse and rider! The horse was killed on the spot and the rider seriously wounded, being shot in four different places.

The worst wound was the leg, below the knee which was so shattered that we had to amputate it to the upper third. Another shot passed through his right arm between the two bones of the forearm and fractured both bones. On healing, the power of supenation and rotation was lost and the arm in a measure, useless. He learned to write with the left hand while in the hospital. Another ball struck his sword hilt which diverted it and entered the gluteus muscles of the back and was cut out from there. This would undoubtedly have killed the man him had it not first struck the sword hilt. Still another ball went through his hat and took out a portion of his scalp.

He told me that he had always had a horror of being shot in the belly. When he found that the soldiers were going to shoot, he rode side-wise to them which probably was the cause of saving his life. He had an Aunt living in Hoboken, NJ. She offered to present him with an artificial leg if he would come on to New York. He accordingly applied for a parole to go but was refused. It was then that we took a Plaster of Paris cast of the stump and forwarded it to the Instrument Maker.

In due course of time, the artificial limb came and fitted nicely so that he threw away his crutches and was on his pins again and could walk almost as well as any of us.

General Ben Butler , who had his headquarters at Fort Monroe and was in command at Bermuda Hundred and Dutch Gap, came to visit General Walker occasionally. One day, he came out of Walker's room as I entered and I asked him what he thought of Ben Butler? He replied that he was a very pleasant man to chat with but that he had none of the noble bearing of a soldier about him. All of which was very true as he was an ungainly looking chap with short legs, squint eyes and bald head. He was especially an ungainly figure on horse back. Ben Butler was a fine executive officer but not a well trained soldier to command an army.

We have too many generals of that kind in the Union Army who know nothing about the tactics of War. Whereas, the Confederate generals were mostly graduates of West Point and far superior to ours. Too many of out generals were politicians like Ben Butler and Logan . Then again, the Confederates had been planning for some time in making preparation for the conflict.

The Confederate government at this period was very sanguine and treated war prisoners most cruelly. Our General Whitesall was then a prisoner in their hands and they threatened to shoot him. Our government replied if they did, we would shoot General Walker. The matter was finally compromised by exchanging the one for the other.

Another patient of mine was Major General Turner who was brought into the hospital with typho-malarial fever. He was a very sick man and delirious for many days and in wild state would sing in a deep base voice "Life on the Ocean Wave" and "A Home on the Rolling Deck."

The first time I ever met General Grant [was when] he came to see General Turner who was a favorite with him and said he was the best artillery officer in the service at that time.

He [Turner] was the man who fired the big gun called the "Swamp Angel" which set Charleston, SC on fire from Morris Island and burst on the 36th round. At the close of the Civil War, the big gun was brought to Trenton, New Jersey to be broken up as old metal. When some of our patriotic citizens, of whom I was one, bought the gun and built a pedestal and placed it on it with a suitable inscription on the Square between Perry St. and North Clinton Ave. where it stands today as a memento of the War.)

August 22nd: [Continued] Diagnosed men for inspection and 95 for bed ticket. Dr. Crombie came and relieved me of one Ward. Good! Had Dr. Brower's men to look after again. How tired I was when night came however.

August 23rd: Was called up at 4AM to see Lieut. McVay who was attacked with hemorrhage from wound. Arrested it and went back to bed. Poor fellow. Had to have his arm amputated and I fear he will not survive.

There followed an inspection of Hospital by Dr. Smith and General Shepley - a grand row on hand by present appearance. Day very pleasant. Got letter from Sister Kate and papers from Morrisville.

August 24th: Contrary to my expectations, Lieut. McVay rallied and is doing well! All the rest of my patients are comfortable. Dr. Crombie was only a country practitioner and had never written a prescription in his life. I had to instruct him how to do it.

We had too many of these country practitioners in the Army during the War. Received 12 new patients and my Wards were full again. I have plenty of work on hand. Went to Hampton Hospital too in the PM. Witnessed a number of operations there. No news of much importance from the Front.

August 25th: Day spent as usual ministering to the sick and wounded. Dr. Rush went to see his sweetheart. Poor fellow! I could appreciate his feelings and knew full well before he told me that anxiety was praying upon his mind. The fact is that my case is similar as I want to see my loved ones bad enough but its my temperament, fortunately, to take things easy, or as they come, or not to worry over what can't be helped and make the best of it.

August 26th: Occupied as usual. Got letter from home. All well there. Went to Fort with Dr. Crombie in the interval of work for a little change.

August 27th: Had to look after the whole establishment. Dr. Brower gone - was completely used up. Prof. Green of Pittsfield, Mass. arrived and relieved me of my Wards, and I assumed charge of Ward 3 and 6 until Dr. Rush's return.

August 28th: Did not sleep much last night and got up with a violent headache. However, felt better after breakfast and visited my Wards. Went to church. Rev. Roberts of Rochester, NY preached. Have been threatened with chills but kept them off with quinine and brandy.

August 29th: Attended to Dr. Rush's Wards. Some are rather critical cases. In PM, went to Dr. M'Clellan's office. Got permission to leave for home as soon as Dr. Rush returns. Wrote home to that effect. Sent in my pay account. In evening, received word from Dr. M'Clellan to attend General Turner during the morning and did not sleep a wink. He was delirious.

August 30th: Am awfully sleepy this morning and went through Ward 3 before breakfast. Thence to Fort to have contract annulled. But was mad as a hare when it was refused me. Don't think they will catch me down in the part of Dixie again very soon if I succeed in getting away this time.

Returned to my Wards and extracted a mini ball from Hookers foot assisted by Colonel Wilson Medical Inspector of Hospital of USA.

Dr. Brower left for Hampton Hospital. Lieut. Shields left also for duty elsewhere. Our Mess is broken up and scattered.

August 31st: Here my diary of events end: as my duties became so arduous that I did not seem to have a moment left for anything except looking after the sick and suffering. Indeed, had scarcely time to sleep as much as I should [have] on account of the night calls. Although my contract service had ended, I agreed to remain at my port of duty for another month - the details of which I have only a shadowy remembrance; but they were strenuous days of hard work.

Leaves for Home

On the 20th of September 1864, I left Chesapeake Hospital for home with satisfaction that I had aided my Country in my professional way to the best of my ability in ministering to the sick and wounded of the officers under my care. Most of them [were] young men of the best blood in our beloved Country from Major Generals down to 2nd Lieut. During the last month or so, the Hospitals changed their names from the Chesapeake and Hampton to that of the USA Hospitals at Fortress Monroe.

The War commission officers and privates were treated at Hampton, so of course those of us on duty at Chesapeake were very fortunate in having as our patients the flower of the Country.

When I left the Hospital, I felt the cruel War could not last much longer. General Grant was in Front of Petersburgh facing Lee's Army. General Sheridan had succeeded Hunter in command of the Army of the Shenandoah. General Sherman was on his campaign of the West and Southwest on his way to the Sea. "Marching Strong through Georgia" and his soldiers chanted their favorite song "The Battle Cry of Freedom" the tune of which is known to the present day in America as "Marching Through Georgia."

The Confederates were in dire distress. Their supplies were cut off and the whole South was devastated. The War was then practically over as far as great battles were concerned the most of us thought so at least.

During most of the time I was away in the Service of my country, wife and baby Anna were with her mother at Harmony, NJ. Here I at once went and after a few days returned to our old home at Morrisville, PA. The home there and its surroundings looked like a deserted castle when we entered it. The grounds about the home were overgrown with rank weeds and looked like a jungle.

When I visited Grant's Army in front of Petersburgh, I found a cavalry sword sticking in the ground up to the hilt. I pulled it out of the earth and brought it home with me as a trophy of the War. It was good and sharp and used it for cutting down the weeds.

Here I resumed my practice for a short time but did not intend to remain long in this malarial region but resolved to cross the river in the early spring-time to Trenton in my native state.

Drafted into Union Army

Accordingly, I rented a house there. We were all packed ready to move our household effects and ourselves on the other side of the Delaware River when in walked an officer from the Provost Marshall's office with the following document:

Provost Marshall's office, 5th District of Penn. March 21st, 1865 Morrisville Borough

To: David Warman:

You are hereby notified that you are - on the 21st day of March, 1865 - legally drafted in the service of the United States for the period of one year in accordance with the provisions of the act of Congress for enrolling and calling out the National forces and for the other purposes approved March 3rd, 1863 and an act amendatory thereof approved February 24th 1864.

You will accordingly report on the 11th day of April 1865 to the place of rendezvous in Frankford or be deemed a deserter and be subject to the penalty prescribed therefore by the rules and articles of War.

Signed M. Yardley

The name of the drafted man and Provost Marshall must be written out in full, 5th District of Penn.

This was accompanied with a transportation ticket on the Penn. R. R. from Morrisville to Philadelphia at government rates.

Here I was in a dilemma. I made up my mind that I would not go as a drafted man and moreover I would not hire a substitute as some of those who were drafted the same time proposed to do. When I was a boy, I cut my foot severely at the wood pile which crippled me to such an extent that now I was not fit for a soldier. [I] concluded to go to the office of the Provost Marshall and make application for a certificate of exemption on account of disability. Accordingly, I went to Philadelphia the day following and called on Dr. Welch, who was acquainted with the examining surgeon for drafted men. He accompanied me on Driving Engine [train] to Frankford. After making his examination, he said I was not fit for a soldier. But that I was already in Service, he would have to examine me with the view to discharge [me] from service and would put me in the Invalid Corps as I would make a very useful man in Hospital. All this was said in jocular way, as he informed he would grant my certificate, would forward it to me, and might make my arrangements to move at once on my return home which I did.

A few days later after we got settled in Trenton, I received the following Form 31:

Certificate of Exemption for drafted person on account of disability.

This is to certify that David Warman, MD of Morrisville Bucks County, State of Pennsylvania having been drafted and claiming exemption on account of disability has been carefully examined and is found to be unfit for Military duty by reason of injury of left foot from incised wound and in consequence thereof, he is exempt from service under the present draft.

Accompanying this was the following letter from the examining surgeon:

Headquarters Provost Marshall's office 5th District, PA March 28th, 1865

David Warman, MD

Dear doctor,

I sent you the enclosed certificate of disability as promised. You will see 'tis dated on the day you should have reported in order that it will appear [that you were] in the regular routine. Please, as a personal favor to me, keep it confidentially until after April 11th [the] next time you should report.

Yours truly,

J. H. Mears

P.S. Please acknowledge the receipt of this as soon as possible. J. H. M.

This diary is courtesy of Jay Forbes, great-great-grandson of Dr. Warman.

July 16, 2003